Bruce wants to include a song every night that features Nils Lofgren; Bruce wants to include a song every night that features Patti Scialfa; Bruce has only a few spots available in the setlist after he plays The River in full each night.
Easy solution: play “Tunnel of Love.” Every night of this tour.
1. It features both one of Nils’ greatest solos and one of Patti’s best vocal parts.
2. It’s one of Bruce’s biggest hits – helpful for engaging an audience that just experienced the challenging sides 3 and 4 of The River.
3. It has a thematic link to The River: Bruce has repeatedly pointed out how the song “Stolen Car” led to the writing on the Tunnel of Love album.
4. It has been barely-ever played in the Reunion era; it could be played every night on this tour without feeling stale or rote.
5. It’s one of Bruce’s greatest songs.